[gst-devel] about base classes

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Mar 8 11:55:07 CET 2005

Some general ideas about base classes:

My idea of a base class is that it provides a number of required functions
that need to be implemented (and maybe some optional ones). Additionally
it provides a set of functions to access other needed properties.
Subclasses of such a base class should _never_ have the need to poke
inside the actual base class or its object. As an example, I'd consider an
audio sink base class that requires it subclasses to ever touch the GstPad
of the sink a broken design.)
Given this as the basic constraint, base classes should be slowly built on
top of each other where possible. So if you have two different sets of
functionalities that can be seperated, do it. (A general sink and an audio
sink class may or may not be such cases.)
Given this, an audio sink base class to me still looks like it would
provide these functions:
/* REQUIRED */
/* write given amount of data, return amount of bytes written */
guint     (* write)	  (GstAudioSink *sink, const guint8 *data,
                           guint size);
/* OPTIONAL */
/* try to open device */
gboolean  (* open)        (GstAudioSink *sink);
/* close device */
void      (* close)       (GstAudioSink *sink);
/* get possibly supported formats from device */
GstCaps * (* get_formats) (GstAudioSink *sink);
/* try to set given format */
gboolean  (* set_format)  (GstAudioSink *sink, const GstCaps *caps);
/* query delay for clocking */
guint	  (* get_delay)   (GstAudioSink *sink);

This looks like it would work for any case we have without any loss of
functionality, while making it as simple as possible to write a new
subclass for $soundsystem.

Or did I miss something?

Benjamin