[gst-devel] problems compiling gstreamer 0.8.9 on cygwin

Jean de Largentaye jlargentaye at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 01:46:16 CET 2005

Ahoy,

I'm attempting to compile gstreamer on cygwin. I'm a relative newby to
cygwin, though not to Linux. Following numerous posts, this is
considered trivial, however I found no specific instructions other
than the usual "./configure; make"

I'm using
- gstreamer 0.8.9
- cygwin 1.5.12
- gcc version 3.3.3 (cygwin special)
- unkown libc version (dang, how do I check this again? I don't have
ldd. all I have is a libc.a)
- glib 2.4.8
- libxml2 2.6.16
- popt 1.6.4
(probably forgot some dependencies... tell me)

I've run into a number of hurdles:
- undefined "struct timeval" in gst/elements/gstfdsrc.c (corrected by
adding #include <sys/time.h>, is this the right way?)
- undefined madvise() (it seems cygwin does not provide the function.
As this seems to be only an 'optimisation' function, I right damn
commented them out. Is this the right way?)
- assembly errors on libs/gst/getbits/gstgetbits_i386.s (I'm stumped,
attached file with the errors)

Any help or comments on solving this assembly error and generally
getting gstreamer to compile and run on cygwin will be much
appreciated and rewarded in schmoogles.

John