[gst-devel] Wim's week 2 progress mail

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Mar 29 03:37:18 CEST 2005

Hi guys,

Progress seems to go well, we should probably start working on plugins
from now (week3) on. Anyway, some small nags:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Andy Wingo wrote:
>   Removed GstThread
>   Removed schedulers
>   Removed cothreads

At the meet in Barcelona, I've asked for some work on a functional muxer
based on the new pure push-based system. Has there been any work on this
yet?

>  - Documentation updates
>     - GstBus design

GstBus message notification appears to be fd-based, is that the ideal
approach? It seems (from a design point of view) to be a weird way to do
something. I haven't thought about it for too long really, so maybe this
is the only workable solution, but I still want to ask: can that be done
better?

(If not: fine - I'm just wondering.)

>    - plugin/pluginfeatures/elementfactory etc still expose Glists in the
> API
>      and are generally not threadsafe.

(Those are read-only so far, that should be fine, in practice, right?)

>     - GST_EVENT_FILLER: not needed with new scheduling.

That is not true, I think. We discussed it in Barcelona, and from the
discussion, it seemed you, me and Benjamin agreed on this. Anyway, I'll
try to get subtitles to work and see how this goes. If you want to make
subtitles display/muxing (or any sparse data stream) working your way,
here's your chance.

Thanks so far,

Ronald