[gst-devel] Synchronization & frame trashing ...

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri May 20 03:49:45 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 12:37 +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > >    I wanted to know what happens when trying to play a file with a
> > > CPU-consumer format on an old computer which can't decode in realtime
> > >
> > >    Is the file played slowly, or are some frames dropped sometimes to
> > > try to keep realtime ? And if frames are dropped, who decides to drop
> > > frames in GStreamer ?

Hi,

> I believe it will play slow (unless you have a huge queue, but that
> needs huge amounts of RAM, which the old computer probably doesn't
> have), unless you specially set up your pipeline to drop frames.

Currently it will drop frames in the video sink, but that's a
comparatively less intensive part of your pipeline when decoding.  The
decoder will still try to decode *all* frames, so if your CPU is already
overwhelmed by the decoder, the framedropping in the sink doesn't really
help, and it will end up playing nothing since all frames arrive late.

Thomas

There has to be a change, I'm sure
Today was just one day fading into the other
and that can't be what life is for