[gst-devel] RTP Caps,base payloader and jrtplib

burgerman at users.sourceforge.net burgerman at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 3 07:27:23 CET 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:53:41 +0100
Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:41 -0500, burgerman at users.sourceforge.net
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 18:09:20 +0200 (EET)
> > Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen at eca.cx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > hmm, you're right. So the RTSP server needs a way to query the start
> > > values for ts+seqno, and current ssrc. I'll leave it to burger to
> > > comment how this fits with rtpbin... ;)
> >
> > Currently the SSRC/ts start and seg start are generated randomly by the
> > payloader AND rtpbin. They are not generated by the RTSP element.
>
> We're not using rtpbin.  What RTSP element ? I'm not using a GStreamer
> RTSP element.
Maybe you should start using it huh :)

> > Therefore they are only generated after the stream is started or
> > elements created. So I don't see how this can help RTSP unless there is
> > a way to query these values from the payloader.
>
> I don't understand what you're saying.  It's very simple.  The server
> starts up a stream.  filesrc ! demux ! rtpenc ! multiudpsink is a sample
> pipeline in that case.
>
> Now, for every client that does an RTSP SETUP request (which will cause
> this client to be added to multiudpsink), as I said before, the ssrc
> needs to be returned.  This is the ssrc value that the rtpencoder chose
> randomly.  a PLAY request should return, among other things, the rtptime
> and seqnum at the point where that client is being added.
>
> What is not clear about this ?
What is not clear is why are these values in the CAPS? why are they
needed to be in the caps? The client app can retreive them directly
from the payloader so why in the caps?
What we have here is a simple case of duplicate functionality. Now you
are saying you don't use rtpbin, but the payloader base class has been
written a relatively short time ago, way after the rtpbin was written.
I think if you guys want to work with it you should do elements that
are in accord with it. I think this generation of the SSRC/ts start and
sq start should be in the rtpbin and have absolutly no reason to be
done either in the payloader or have them in the CAPS. someone tell me
otherwise and why.