[gst-devel] application idea: loop-based music production app

Shane Handley shane.handley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 22:37:29 CET 2005

Greetings list,

I have been trying to get up to speed with gstreamer in the hope of
developing an application that I sorely need on linux. I am hoping that
someone on the list can provide some feedback about how difficult this
would be to implement using gstreamer/gtk.

I am an ameteur musician, and coming from Windows 8 months ago, I had to
drop a nice application named "ACID". ACID was similar to Audacity
[audacity.sourceforge.net] in that it allows recording of multiple
tracks of audio, which it displays as a waveform, for editing/mixing
tracks/adding effects.

The major difference between ACID and Audacity is that ACID is
'loop-based'. That is to say, instead of playing a repeated piece of
song for many repetitions, you play it once, and loop that sample, using
the graphical wave  representation of the audio to ensure that the
sample begins and ends at the end of the beat.

screenshots of ACID for the uninitiated:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/images/ss/md/AXPress_Full.jpg

Audacity is at heart, and audio editor, rather than a music production tool.

I think ACID is inferior, it could be lot better through simplification.
I'd like to see this application implemented using gstreamer, and I'd
like to work towards it if the list believes this is feasable.

I understand that recording/playback/merging tracks would be a
no-brainer with gstreamer, from what I have learnt so far, it would
offer a very clean backend to the audio tasks.

Does anyone think it would be a massive task to expand on these simple
src->file, file>effect>output...etc, tasks to make a complete loop-based
audio production tool that isn't overly complicated.

This is getting long. Thanks for reading, any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Shane Handley