[gst-devel] base format for seeking, time vs. bytes

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue Nov 29 00:13:03 CET 2005

hi,

I've already brought this up from time to time on IRC. As far as I
understood the base-classes implement seeking in BYTES. While this
sounds easy to handle for underlying file-based elements, it is imho
design-wise not the best choice. Time should be the natural format for
seeking. What does one show the user as the playing progress. Bytes? No,
its time.
I have attached a small usecase that is important for my project to this
mail. I use sound-generators and effects that become time-dependent by
controller-events.
Seeking in these elements means just changing their base-time, so that
they request different controller-values then. The elements don't really
want to think about how many bytes a seek is far away.

The question is how get we get this implemented? WHat do you think of
time vs. bytes as the base unit and so on. Can we do it in 0.10 or does
it has to wait for 0.11?

If the concept is clear I can dive into implementing it, but right now I
am not clear when to start.

In hope for enlightenment,
  Stefan