[gst-devel] doc progress and tasks

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Oct 6 06:39:20 CEST 2005

Hello Stefan,

On Sun, 2005-09-25 at 20:11 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> 1.) Review policy:
> What about a review policy for major releases?

We haven't had any major releases, we're still at 0.x

OK that was a joke.

>  There were really funny
> examples in the long-description for gstobject ( -> gtk_bin_add (GTK_BIN
> (bin), element); ).  Some docs I came across had a 'last reviewed on
> <date>' paragraph.
> I don't know what would be the best plan, what I want to say is that I
> belive its a good idea to go over the long-description of classes and
> check if the stuff in there still applies. I my mind I see a table with
> classes on one axis and core-developers on the other axis. whenever a
> core-developer reviews the docs and says its okay, the class gets one
> point. We then can say two points required for e.g. 0.10.

Now that the docs are in the code, which all developers know how to edit
(I was willfully ignorant about the old stuff), it should be easier. We
also need other reviews before 0.10: API and strings. So we should
organize days, after the preliminary API freeze on 17 October, in which
we have many-hands-makes-quick-work sessions on these issues,
coordinated over IRC, maybe with peer reviewers. Dunno, it's an idea.

> 2.) Filling the holes - part I:
> gstcaps:Long_Description
> gsterror:Long_Description
> gstfilter:Long_Description
> gstghostpad:Long_Description
> gstminiobject:Long_Description & Short_Description
> gststructure:Long_Description
> gsttaglist:Long_Description
> gsttagsetter:Long_Description
> gsttask:Long_Description & Short_Description
> gsttrace:Long_Description
> gsttypefind:Long_Description
> gsturitype:Long_Description
> gstvalue:Long_Description
> gstxml:Long_Description

Doc day! Doc day!

> 3.)  Filling the holes - part II:
> Whats the suggestion for filling the holes. Shall we make the buildbots
> break on core docs file-by-file? (Fail unless GstBin is complete, the
> fail unless GstBus is complete, ...).

Dunno; maybe Thomas has some ideas.

Thanks for all your wonderful doc work,
--