[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wingo gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/docs/design/ gstreamer/gst/ gstreamer/gst/base/

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Oct 6 11:06:03 CEST 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 05:28:31PM +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > This doesn't work on processors that require a memory barrier to
> > serialize loads across multiple CPUs.
>
> I was getting compilation errors on ppc, iirc, and I thought "well glib
> uses this idiom in their debugging code too...", i.e. all the
> g_return_if_fail stuff in gobject.c with the new atomic int stuff. As
> this macro is only for debugging, e.g. in the test suite, I thought this
> would be fine. Given that it's only for debugging is it still incorrect?
> Presumably you would only debug refcounts at points in a program where
> it is well defined.

Dunno, but that's a good point.  I don't see any advantage of
directly accessing the integer.  It can be faster, of course,
but that's not very interesting in the debugging case.  Perhaps
we should call it _UNSAFE and let it slide.

dave...

--
David Schleef
Big Kitten LLC (http://www.bigkitten.com/) -- data acquisition on Linux