[gst-devel] new gsm/msgsm encoder/decoder

burgerman at users.sourceforge.net burgerman at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 6 12:00:01 CEST 2005

Hi,
   I have written new gsm encoder and decoder elements that use the gst
adapter instead of that duplicate code it now uses. Also i wrote an ms
gsm encoder/decoder.

I would like to add at least the gsm
encoder/decoder to -good since they are now in bad. So I have 2 issues :

 * should I first remove the old gsm encoder/decoder from -bad and add
the new one to -good? Or keep both?
 * can gsm go into -good or does it have patent issues? I think this
page covers all the patent issues well, don't know if it's gstreamer
happy or not : http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html

As for msgsm, it is a bastardized version of normal gsm that encodes 2
gsm frames into 1 packet, removing the GSM magic (4 bits). Therefore
removing those 4 bits for 2 frames gives one 65 byte frame instead of
two 33 byte frames, therefore saving 1 byte per 2 frames. Also is moves
the GSM header parameters around, here are the specs :
http://www.opengroup.org/messaging/vpim/specs/drafts/draft-ema-vpim-msgsm-00.txt

I don't know how I can figure out if that spec can go into -good or
-ugly either? Any hints there?

Laterz
Philippe