[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] zeenix gst-plugins-bad: gst-plugins-bad/ gst-plugins-bad/ext/gsm/

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Wed Oct 26 08:25:09 CEST 2005

Hi Philippe,

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:05 -0400, burgerman at users.sourceforge.net
wrote:
> What makes you think they are clearly taken from gstreamer, modified and
> then returned?

The diff was small? If that is not the case, my apologies.

That said, patches are normally preferable to rewrites of course -- the
bugs you know are better than the ones you don't, etc...

>  The only thing that has been taken and modified is the
> plugin template, but then again all plugins have pretty much the same
> basic template right? I mean I don't want to make a fuss but I would
> like to understand. Also does this mean that any gstreamer element must
> have GStreamer at the top in the copyrights?

I don't mean to be petty either :-) I think the general guideline would
be that if you write a plugin from scratch (including from the
template), you put yourself as the only author. So you were probably
right.

> > >  GST_PLUGIN_DEFINE (GST_VERSION_MAJOR,
> > >      GST_VERSION_MINOR,
> > >      "gsm",
> > > -    "GSM Elements Plugin",
> > > -    plugin_init, VERSION, "LGPL", GST_PACKAGE, GST_ORIGIN)
> > > +    "GSM encoder/decoder",
> > > +    plugin_init, VERSION, "LGPL", "Farsight",
> "http://farsight.sf.net")
> >
> > Likewise...
>
> Same thing here.

No, since it's in GStreamer cvs it is not coming from Farsight any more.
These fields are reserved so that external distributors (e.g. Farsight)
can label their plugins as not being part of GStreamer. Now that the
plugin is part of GStreamer, its origin is GStreamer.

> I don't want to take credit for other peoples work, but I just assumed
> since it's a new element I don't need to put his name on it.

You were probably right! Again, my apologies.

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo
http://wingolog.org/