[gst-devel] GStreamer 0.10 release schedule and tasks

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Oct 28 06:40:47 CEST 2005

Hey all,

Given the delay last week in producing the API-frozen 0.9.4, we are
going to push back 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 from the original schedule[0], but
leave the string freeze and the 0.10.0 releases where they were. Thus
the new schedule looks like this:

Monday 07 Nov: 0.9.5 release
 - API same as the last release

Monday 21 Nov: 0.9.6 release and string freeze
 - For this release, the API changes built up in bugzilla are applied
 - Also at this point the API is frozen for 0.10.0, barring emergencies
 - Strings frozen as well -- time to translate

Monday 28 Nov: 0.10.0 prerelease
Monday 05 Dec: 0.10.0 release
 - See you at the pub :-)

There are some tasks that need doing though. We need to assess the state
of our core documentation (i.e. triage) and then update the docs (in
that order). I think that by reviewing the docs we can avoid having to
do a formal API review; having to write about how to use something
should bring any issues to light. We should do a review of strings
marked for translation as well... I'm getting less enthusiastic about
this, so someone will have to say "yes" to doing such reviews for it to
happen.

That's it for core. For plugins, we want to make sure that code in the
base and good modules is actually of high quality. That means we will
need to do triage on those modules and identify the parts that need
work. Then if those plugins and libraries are not fixed before the API
freeze on 21 November, they should be punted to -bad. We don't want
people modelling their code off of bad code and then having to come
asking questions later about why isn't it working. Bad code burdens us
all.

Today on IRC we will be doing some doc triaging. It will be a first time
so we'll have to figure out how this will all work. Then next week we
can update docs as we have time, and perhaps on Wednesday do a triage of
plugins-base. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Comments welcome!

Peace out,
--
Andy Wingo