[gst-devel] Spooky GStreamer status

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Mon Oct 31 07:42:20 CET 2005

доброе утро gstreamer хакеры,

Spooky Monday greetings! You weren't about to start working, were you?
Much better to put off beginning your day with a pot of coffee and a
GStreamer summary. That's what I think anyway.

Life Under The Ice
------------------

Binary and source stability notwithstanding, quite a few mischievous
minions have found ways to introduce changes into GStreamer CVS.

Support was added in basesink for some of the more esoteric seeking
flags. filesink is more polite to the streams i/o layer now, and the
queue saw some crasher/deadlock fixes. Bins got some support code for
managing segment-start and segment-stop messages from their children,
and now cache durations queried from their children. Property
notifications are no longer serialized in GLib 2.8, and there is a new
lock in basetransform [0].

However the largest activity this last week centered around improving
our API documentation. This culminated in our first-ever documentation
day on Friday. It got off to a bit of a slow start, but was fruitful in
the end. Unfortunately we probably still have about 120 hours of
documentation work left to do, and we need your help. Read [1] to find
out how you can get involved!

[0] http://wingolog.org/pub/new-lock.jpg
[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/14044

Roadmap
-------

Owing to the delay in freezing the API, as well as the delay in getting
0.9.4 out the door, we pushed back the next two milestones by a week.
Thus the 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 releases will happen on 7 November and 21
November, with the hard freeze on 21 November [2].

[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/14038

Plugged In
----------

The standard capabilities for video data no longer have arbitrary
bounds. Framerate now ranges from 0 to MAXDOUBLE, and dimensions are now
[1, MAXINT]. Although it is in the plans, it does not look like
framerate will become a rational for 0.10.

  base: baseaudiosink now accepts audio buffers without timestamps,
        vorbisdec fixes, rtp base class work, audioconvert renegotiating
        fix, adder timestamps, oggdemux convert fix

  good: pngdec videobox bugfixen and optimization, flacenc fixes from
        Tim, osssrc mono/width fixes, h263 and asterisk payloaders,
        dvdemux autoplugging fix, payloader/depayloaders for gsm, mulaw,
        alaw, videomixer refcount fixen, matroska v2 support, speexenc
        fix

   bad: ttaparse fix, gsmenc/gsmdec rewritten, qtdemux update,
        sdlvideosink

  ugly: mpeg2dec fixes

Digits
------

Core files changed since the last summary               : 71
Lines added since the last summary                      : 4157
Lines removed                                           : 3362
Net change in core value according to sloccount(1)      : +$9,723
Total number of GStreamer bugs as of today              : 230
Number opened in the last week                          : 33
Number closed in the last week                          : 16
Net change                                              : +17
Rank among most buggy projects hosted in gnome bugzilla : 8

Current Releases
----------------

0.9.4 of all of the development modules was released on 24 October. The
API and ABI of those modules will not change until 21 November.

Latest development versions:
    gstreamer:        0.9.4
    gst-plugins-base: 0.9.4
    gst-plugins-good: 0.9.4
    gst-plugins-ugly: 0.9.4
    gst-plugins-bad:  0.9.4
    gst-ffmpeg:       0.9.4
    gst-python:       0.9.4

Ronald has rolled a stable gst-ffmpeg prerelease which he would like
people to test, version 0.8.6.3. Check #gstreamer on irc.freenode.net
for more information.

Latest stable versions:
    gstreamer:        0.8.11
    gst-plugins:      0.8.11
    gst-ffmpeg:       0.8.6
    gst-python:       0.8.2

Featured Application: Buzztard
------------------------------

Tall. Blond. Norwegian. Add these words together and decode them for the
name of the secret author bringing us this week's featured application!

    Buzztard is a music production software modelled after the program
    Buzz which was released for Windows. The main person behind Buzztard
    is Stefan Kost who has also been one of the primary drivers behind
    making GStreamer 0.9/0.10 well suited for music creation software
    like this. Buzztard aims to reach parity and then surpass the
    original, a task made a little easier by the fact that the
    original's development stopped due to lost source code. You can find
    out more about Buzztard here:

    http://www.buzztard.org/

So it's four oclock already, I imagine I should start working. You too.
Have a fine week!
--
Andy Wingo
http://wingolog.org/