[gst-devel] missing caps in ffmpeg

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Sep 6 07:04:19 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 09:28 +0100, Philip de Nier wrote:
> The ffmpeg ffenc_mpeg2video (and some others like ffenc_h263) are not
> returning the correct caps and the negotiation of links is failing. For
> example, the code below:
[..]
>          Caps: video/x-raw-yuv, width=(int)[ 16, 4096 ], height=(int)[ 16,
> 4096 ], framerate=(double)[ 0, 1.7976931348623157e+308 ], format=(fourcc)I420
> It should return all 11 caps returned by "gst-inspect ffenc_mpeg2video"?

No it should not. The template caps are an approximation of what
encoders in ffmpeg can use as input. Most specific encoders, however,
only understand a single format as input, and since this lookup is
expensive, we do it only for elements that we actually use, so the
template caps is an inexact match and the return value of the getcaps
function is the exact match.

Add a ffmpegcolorspace to your pipeline to make it work.

Cheers,
Ronald