[gst-devel] cleaning up

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Sep 7 11:46:13 CEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:20:38AM +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Welll ll l llll llll  I asked Wim about this actually the other day. His
> view of libgstbase is that it is a library to help make elements on top
> of gstreamer. Part of the library is a class library, and part is helper
> objects. (I am paraphrasing his view because he's out of town atm.) Also
> consider that the implementation of e.g. collectpads as a helper object
> is related to the lack of multiple inheritance.

I want libgstbase merged into libgstreamer.  The reason is simple --
almost everything uses (or should use) a base class in libgstbase,
and so they will all be linking with both libgstbase and libgstreamer.

> There is a certain elegance in keeping the core very orthogonal.

Elegance be damned.  We're writing software, not painting a
picture.  Nobody has ever shown a use case for libgstreamer
without all the plugins.

I realize now that the arbitrary cutoff between gstreamer and
gst-plugins (which is the source of much aesthetic reasoning for
libgstreamer) was not advised by any actual use cases or experience,
thus, imo, it is a distinction that needs to be modified to suit
reality, not reality to it.

dave...

--
David Schleef