[gst-devel] questions about examples in plugin docs

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Mon Sep 12 04:55:29 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 13:37 +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 12:02 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > - does it make sense to put this example in the docs ? Is it not too
> > long ?
>
> I think it's great.
>
> > - Where should this example code be written ?
> >   - in the element's .c file as comments ?
> >   - in a separate .c file in the element's directory ?
> >   - in a separate .c file in some top-level examples/ ?
>
> For C examples, it would be nice to be able to compile and run them to
> see what they do. I would prefer separate C files. Not a strong
> preference though.
>
> > - What license should we slap on all of our example code ?
>
> Public domain

No sure about this. While I theoretically agree, there are legal issues
which makes public domain unworkable. For instance in most of Europe you
can't actually dedicate things to the public domain (only way for things
to go into public domain is have it copyright expire).

Using MIT/BSD license on the stuff would be a better solution IMHO due
to this as it is a license which gives people the right to use the code
as they please, but without getting in conflict with IP laws.

That said we if do put 'public domain' and the unlikely case that there
ever is a legal conflict about it then I would assume a European court
would rule that what we meant by 'public domain' was a license like the
MIT/BSD license, so maybe just putting 'public domain' fine for all
practical purposes. And for the US (and other places) where putting
things in the public domain is possible then the code in question would
be in the public domain (at least if we use something like the Creative
commons public domain dedication process to do it).

Christian