[gst-devel] 0.9 and prerolling

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Sep 13 06:56:26 CEST 2005

Hi,

> filesrc ! avidemux
>
> By "prerolling" I mean creating the actual pads on avidemux. I'm aware
> of the fakesink technique Ronald recently described in regard to
> decodebin. But It doesn't really work here, since avidemux doesn't
> emit "new pad" signals (the "temporary" fakesink would always timeout)

as mentioned on IRC - did you try connecting to "pad-added" on
avidemux ? Seems from the logs it's definately creating the pads.

> I have a feeling (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the new design
> is highly optimized towards simple playback/streaming/transcoding
> applications, while it leaves more advanced engines/use cases behind.

I'd like to correct you :) First of all, having not only playback but
also streaming and transcoding as specific target applications makes the
new design a little more broad than the previous one.  That sounds like
a good thing to me.

Second, there are more advanced use cases being considered.  One of them
as you know is the video editor.  Edward is working on such a thing,
just like you IIRC.  There's a bunch more targets people are thinking
about explicitly or implicitly in the choices they make.

What other advanced use cases do you want us to think of ?

> Another issue is the new threading system - which is great for simple
> & fixed pipelines, but very limiting if you want to write some more
> complicated stuff.

I would love to answer but your statement is very vague.  Could you be
more specific ?

Thomas

We did it by the door
We did it on the floor