[gst-devel] Refcount eating

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Sep 20 03:07:03 CEST 2005

Hello people,

I am concerned about the registry API, because sometimes when you call a
function it eats your refcount, and sometimes not.

I suggest we change the API so it never eats your refcount, like other
GStreamer functions (except pad_push, which probably shouldn't eat your
refcount either). That makes it much more clear for calling code to know
how to ref.

Current ref-eating functions recently introduced with registry changes
are tough to spot, because it's unclear which ones are supposed to eat
it and which are not:

gst_plugin_feature_load
gst_element_factory_create (via plugin_feature_load)
gst_plugin_load

If there are no objections I'll see about doing this tomorrow or later
today.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo