[gst-devel] GStreamer status, 20 Sept 2005

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Sep 21 12:42:43 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 20:17 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > You are majorly confusing development software with stable software.
>
> I'm not.  There are two problems with Totem.
[..]
> > Do you think gtk 2.8 works with glib 1.2?
> The comparison is silly - gtk is a mature library that doesn't get half
> of its internals rewritten every release cycle.

Totem is immature and vivid, as is GStreamer. Gtk+ may be alive, but is
not immature. If Totem would not do the above, we would have
GStreamer'ish long release cycles of 2-4 years per API change.
Unacceptable. At least Bastien (with minor help from me) got 1.0 out for
2.10 and 1.2 for 2.12, which is an awesome form of release-often
practice. I still have to see 0.9 make it out there in 2.14.

The current GStreamer policy is simply that of a scared (group of)
person(s), inventing hack after hack to not have to force users to
upgrade to some recent stable version of a dependency for a version that
may only be released in a year from now.

Ronald