[gst-devel] Howto install GStreamer in Linux Debian ?

Loïc Minier lool+sf at via.ecp.fr
Tue Sep 27 09:47:42 CEST 2005

        Hi,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005, ronny hidayat wrote:
> I want to make program in Linux, which is to play sound (eg mp3 files).
> So, I install GStreamer 0.9.1.

 How did you "install GStreamer 0.9.1"?

> But when I check GStreamer packages using 'dpkg --list' command, GStreamer
> doesn't appear in the list.

 Only Debian packages do appear in the list.

> Then after downloading gst-plugins-base-0.9.1 packages from internet, I try to
> install with 'export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig' & './configure'
> command from gst-plugins-base-0.9.1 folder.

 You can either build your packages manually, with ./configure, make,
 but beware of installing things under /usr/local: you might mix
 packaged libraries with yours and vice-versa, and it becomes a pain to
 track which one is used, and causes random bugs.

 The other way is to use Debian packages, but they are not distributed
 officially, you can build you own from the pkg-gstreamer SVN repository
 for Debian packages at svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-gstreamer/.  Rob Taylor
 kindly sent a patch for the latest release.

 However, since you're new to Linux and Debian, I suggest trying with
 0.8 development packages which are in Debian (apt-cache search
 gstreamer), and will be easy to install and use (and won't mess up your
 system).

   Cheers,

--
Loïc Minier <lool at dooz.org>