[gst-devel] ABI/API stability and gst-plugins-bad (was: Re: [gst-cvs] tpm gst-plugins-bad: gst-plugins-bad/ gst-plugins-bad/ext/neon/)

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 04:24:01 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 12:46 +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:

> My feeling is that no stability guarantees should apply to -bad. When it
> doesn't cost much, like this change, there's no problem, but
> back-compatibility in a module of unsupported code is not worth the
> maintainance burden.
>
> IMO anyway.

My feeling is that all modules we make releases of should adhere to our
stability rules.

Plugins that aren't ready for that yet should either live in -bad CVS
without being disted or be disabled by default or live in gst-sandbox
until they're ready.

IMHO anyway :)

If people feel that should be changed, that's fine with me, but then we
need to make sure this is widely known, and by that I mean more than a
footnote buried somewhere in one of the many READMEs. In any case we
should try not to break API/ABI for purely aesthetic reasons.

 Cheers
  -Tim