[gst-devel] Gstreamer WIN32 status

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Apr 10 01:10:01 CEST 2006

Sébastien Moutte wrote:
> Steve Lhomme a écrit :
>> Sébastien Moutte wrote:
>>> HI Gstreamer !!
>>>
>>> It's time to report the WIN32 status of gstreamer packages. Now a lot
>>> of plugins build successfully with MSVC 6.0 and the ones i have
>>> tested work really good :)
>>
>> Why not support MSVC2005 (instead) ? That's the only free one and
>> performs much better.
> Yep, sure it is really better than VC6.0 or VC7.1 and I will add project
> files for it too, but the problem is we can't build binaries packages
> with it as it links on msvcr80.dll which is not LGPL compliant.

That's the first time I hear something like that. LGPL can use closed
source libraries AFAIK. It's not part of your code. And your code
doesn't depend on it. Only a version of the binary does, but it's not
mandatory (as in derivative work).

> Moreover, most of the binary packages of the gstreamer's dependencies
> are distributed linked on msvcrt.dll (6.0) then peoples who will want to
> work with MSVC2005 will have to build all dependencies before ...

I don't think so. It's not because a library you use depend on X that
your library has to depend on library X instead of Y. You could build a
plugin that uses msvcrt90.dll or toto.dll and still leave the rest of
GStreamer, glib, etc intact.

Steve