[gst-devel] Color space conversion and static linking

Ben "The Big" Demboski BenD at wildseed.com
Mon Apr 17 07:40:02 CEST 2006

Hi all.

I'm working on an application that needs to statically link in the plugins
that it uses, rather than depending on the presence of .so's, and I have run
into an issue doing color space conversions. I am linking in the ffmpeg
plugins, which prevents me from linking in the ffmpegcolorspace plugin
because the symbols all conflict. My temporary workaround is to patch the
ffmpegcolorspace source, prepending 'ff_' to all the symbols, but I would
obviously prefer a better solution.

Is there an element in the ffmpeg plugin that will do color-space
conversions? I see that all the functionality in ffmpegcolorspace is taken
from the ffmpeg plugin, but I can't find an element in the ffmpeg plugin
that will simply do the conversion.

Better yet, is there a way to get the various ffmpeg elements (e.g. the DivX
decoder) to do the color space conversion themselves? When I hook the DivX
decoder up to ximagesink, the caps negotiation goes fine (because DivX says
it can provide RGB), but when I start playing the DivX decoder wants to spit
out YUV data and the ximagesink won't take it. Can I persuade the DivX
decoder to use the functionality that was copied and encapsulated in
ffmpegcolorspace to spit out RGB data instead? And if so, would this
generalize to all the ffmpeg elements?

Thanks.

Ben Demboski