[gst-devel] GStreamer as Google Summer of Code project

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at gnome.org
Tue Apr 18 02:29:04 CEST 2006

Hi team,
        I have started the process of registering GStreamer as a summer
        of code project this year. If that is going to be a success for
        us we need two things, one is good ideas for what the SoC
        students can work on and even more importantly we need mentors.

        So please send me any proposals you might have for things you
        think
        would be suitable for a SoC project that is related to
        GStreamer. And also let me know if you are willing to mentor
        projects that gets
        approved or mentor specific projects. I will put together a page
        for us listing the project proposals and listing a primary
        mentor for each.

        When proposing ideas be sure to remember that these ideas are
        meant to get students interested and also they need to be
        relatively
        self-contained. I have on purpose not listed things like 'enable
        RTSP support in playbin' or 'implement the  multique design' as
        proposals as they are probably to sensitive to let 'Joe Hacker'
        work on.

        Proposals coming from people willing to mentor them will get
        prominent placing on our projects page :)

        A couple of ideas I have to kick this off -

        Write MXF muxer and demuxer: The MXF format is popular within
        the TV
        industry and optimized for used with non-linear editors. It is
        also the format for choice for BBC's Dirac codec for instance.
        Getting support for this would be a good boon for Pitivi and
        Diva.

        Librarify Ambulant - Refactor libambulant SMIL render to be
        usable for doing a GStreamer plugin on top of it and write such
        a plugin.
        Preferably the refactoring is done in a way that the Ambulant
        community can accept back upstream.

        Implement Ogg RTP - Implement payloaders and depayloaders for
        Vorbis and Theora using the recently completed specifications
        and make sure they work with Tapioca or Telepathy for doing
        video/audio conferencing.

        MPEG2 muxer and MPEG2 encoder - Write a muxer for the mpeg2
        container format and an encoder for the MPEG2 video format
        (write in the sense do a plugin. Probably want to rely on some
        existing code for the encoder). Important for being able to do
        ViiV/DLNA compliant devices using GStreamer.

        Thumbnail play on hoover in Nautilus - When your mouse hoovers
        over the Nautilus video thumbnails the video starts playing
        inside the thumbnail.

        GStreamer and Amarok - Make sure GStreamer back-end in Amarok is
        fully featured and the default.

        Other suggestions?

        Christian