[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer as Google Summer of Code project

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Apr 18 12:25:22 CEST 2006

Hi,

Exciting news, I hope you can get this roling.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:35:19 +0200, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:
>         I have started the process of registering GStreamer as a summer
>         of code project this year. If that is going to be a success for
>         us we need two things, one is good ideas for what the SoC
>         students can work on and even more importantly we need mentors.

Who gets the money? There's no such thing as the GStreamer Foundation.

>         MPEG2 muxer and MPEG2 encoder - Write a muxer for the mpeg2
>         container format and an encoder for the MPEG2 video format
>         (write in the sense do a plugin. Probably want to rely on some
>         existing code for the encoder). Important for being able to do
>         ViiV/DLNA compliant devices using GStreamer.

I'm affraid we already have those. Mplex and mpeg2enc are excellent,
100% DVD-compliant libraries from the mjpegtools project, which take all
odd DVD hardware out there into account, including all bugs and
shortcomings. The plugins can (in 0.8) be found in ext/mpeg2enc/ and
ext/mplex/. The elements may not be ported to 0.10, but that is a
practical issue that is not worth a Google SoC project.

Some GNOME projects have a very thin line between being a "GStreamer" or
a "GNOME" SoC project, so it may be a good idea to work together there,
rather than do contradictory or redundant work.

Ronald