[gst-devel] GStreamer in GNOME 2.16

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Tue Apr 25 06:34:11 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 22:41 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to check what the plans are with GStreamer over the next few
> months leading up to the GNOME 2.16 freeze period, such that both projects
> can plan around (within?) our release schedules. For instance, are there any
> major changes that will impact GNOME 2.16 development, are there GStreamer
> related features that ought to be adopted in this timeframe, etc.
>
> If so, it would be useful if we could mail devel-announce-list with an
> outline of our plans, and recommendations for developers working with
> GStreamer in the GNOME 2.16 timeframe.

Our Illustrious Release Manager is currently travelling back from FISL,
so I'll give a quick outline here, and let him follow up with more
details when he has some time.

There are no API or ABI breaking changes planned in the near future (we
DO regularly add additional API in new point releases, though), so GNOME
needn't worry about any of those sorts of problems.

Of the other areas, there's: bug fixing in gstreamer, and applications.
Bug fixing continues apace, with new bugfix releases planned regularly,
and some significant new internal features coming with those. Those only
matter if specific applications run into bugs, or require new features.
Since we release fairly frequently, I doubt this'll be a problem.

As for applications, I haven't followed the details of the GNOME
applications using gstreamer, but I don't believe there are any
significant stability problems affecting them.

I think the update to latest-gstreamer should be fairly seamless for
gnome 2.16, in short.

Mike