[gst-devel] decodebin with playlist?

Ian Turner vectro at vectro.org
Tue Aug 8 03:03:57 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I'm trying to write an application that will play several audio files in
sequence. The files may be of different types, and the application may not
assume that the entire playlist is available at once; the user may make
changes to the playlist in mid-song.

It seemed to me the best thing was to use this pipeline:
gnomevfssrc -> decodebin -> audioconvert -> osssink

Using the decodebin example code as a reference, everything works fine for the
first file. Then I set the pipeline to NULL state, change the "location"
property on the gnomevfssrc, and set it back to PLAYING, and all hell breaks
loose.

I'd rather not recreate the entire pipeline each time, as that entails the
starting and stopping of a lot of threads, with consequent performance loss.
Is there a better way? How can I tell the decodebin to start typefinding
anew?

Other thoughts on this issue appreciated.

Cheers,

--Ian