[gst-devel] gstreamer and the visibility feature of gcc 4.*

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Aug 15 23:27:07 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:22:37PM +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, David Schleef wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:15:54AM +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> >>I recently used that visibility feature in avisynth, and I was wondering
> >>why the plugins I wrote for it was not loeaded. The reason is that, in
> >>gstconfig.h(.in), GST_PLUGIN_EXPORT is defined to nothing.
> >
> >I think you missed the purpose of GST_PLUGIN_EXPORT.  It's for handling
> >the magic required to export data symbols in Window DLLs.
>
> and what the visibility feature of gcc 4.* is for ? ;)
>
> you defined a var that can be used to tell the compiler that it must
> export that symbol, while all others are hidden.

No, GST_PLUGIN_EXPORT is to tell the compiler to add the magic crap
(which is substantial and gross) to handle _data_ objects, because the
DLL system can't handle data objects by itself.  It's not about symbol
visibility.

> The shared lib of gstreamer and the
> plugins will be smaller (less time to load them), the compiler will be
> smarter. Almost only advantages.

This is all fine and good, but has nothing to do with GST_PLUGIN_EXPORT.

dave...

--
David Schleef
Big Kitten LLC (http://www.bigkitten.com/) -- data acquisition on Linux