[gst-devel] ASF streaming videos

Pedro Santos Gomez pedrosantosgomez_listas at yahoo.es
Fri Feb 17 11:37:09 CET 2006

Hi all!

I'm having a little problem with gstreamer and ASF
streams. The question is that I don't get how to make
gstreamer work with them.

I have a webcam (linksys wvc54g) which is connected to
my computer through a regular ethernet cable. The
webcam has its own web server, and linksys tells me to
connect to it with their proprietary program or
through an ActiveX component with MSIE. As I see with
ethereal, the ActiveX component asks for
/img/video.asf. So, being the webcam in 192.168.0.115
and trying:

$ mplayer mms://192.168.0.115/img/video.asf

I can see the video (with a lot of lag because of the
cache, but right now I don't care). Now I want to use
gstreamer to process the webcam output... and I can't
make it work.

I tried:

$ gst-launch mmssrc
location=mms://192.168.0.115/img/video.asf
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.
$ gst-launch mmssrc
location=http://192.168.0.115/img/video.asf
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.
$

I've been googling, and I didn't find any example of
gst-launch using mmssrc that worked correctly for me.

I see:
$ gst-inspect|grep -i 'asf\|mms'
mms:  mmssrc: MMS streaming protocol support
typefindfunctions: video/x-ms-asf: asf, wm, wma, wmv
ffmpeg:  ffdemux_asf: FFMPEG asf format demuxer
asf:  asfdemux: ASF Demuxer
asf:  asfmux: Asf multiplexer

that there is no other source element for ASF videos
(or should I use other source and use asf{de,}mux?).

I'm completely newbie to gstreamer, I have read just a
couple of howtos. But, the ERROR is caused there,
right? I mean, trying:

$ gst-launch filesrc location=song.mp3 ! ffdec_mp3 !
esdsink

I listen to song.mp3 successfully, and running:

$ gst-launch filesrc location=song.mp3
RUNNING pipeline ...
Execution ended after 1 iterations (sum 20000 ns,
average 20000 ns, min 20000 ns, max 20000 ns).

doesn't sound anything, but doesn't show any error. So
*I guess* that the error is not because of not writing
the whole thing (like mmssrc location=... ! foo ! bar
or something like that). Is that right? As you can
see, I'm pretty lost right now. Could anybody help me?

Thank you so much in advance,
Pedro