[gst-devel] Re: Python GStreamer API doc

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Feb 28 02:13:04 CET 2006

Hi Gian,

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 22:41 +0100, Gian Mario Tagliaretti wrote:
> I just would like to know if there is any interest on this project or
> if I'm just wasting my time (wich is pretty a lot believe me...),
> eventually I can choose to work on something else.

First: the work you are doing is awesome. Edward, the python bindings
maintainer, has been busy recently, but I just looked at your docs and
they are totally hot.

That said, what you are doing is a sisyphean task. This a problem common
to most all language bindings; it should be possible to automatically
generate the documentation from the upstream documentation, minus the
C-specific bits. There's discussion about this on gtk-devel-list about
every 6 months or so. The introspection stuff will probably be most
useful in this regard.

So to summarize, your work rocks and is very useful, especially now at
the beginning of a new stable series. While you're working on it though,
perhaps you might want to start thinking about how your efforts can be
made more future-proof by combining your python-specific work with the
general API documentation work.

Best regards,
--
Andy Wingo