[gst-devel] Encoding with FAAC

Michael mkaiser at oxy.edu
Tue Jan 10 23:23:01 CET 2006

I'm trying to rip CDs onto my computer using Sound Juicer. I've created a
profile for encoding with FAAC in GMAudio Profiles with the
pipelines"audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! faac name=enc",
"audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2
! faac profile=1", and "audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! faac". All
three ways, nothing complains when I rip a CD, but playing the AAC files
back with "totem /path/to/file.m4a" I get "GStreamer-WARNING **: element
internal_thread claimed state-change success,but state didn't change to
PLAYING. State is PAUSED (NONE_PENDING pending), fix the element" in the
terminal, and Totem says it "Could not determine type of stream." iTunes
doesn't like the files, either. Running "gst-launch filesrc location=
/path/to/file.m4a ! faad ! osssink" (or with alsasink) gives "RUNNING
pipeline ..." and then, after a while, "Execution ended after 3695
iterations (sum 296036133000 ns, average 80118033 ns, min 111000 ns, max
1723749000 ns)." I hear no sound, though, but I don't hear sound with AAC
files that work in Totem. I've tried with multiple CDs, all with the same
result. I would really appreciate any help I could get in figuring out
what's going wrong. Also, I wasn't able to find an explanation of the
options "profile=1" or "name=enc" anywhere; is there any documentation on
what all the options for the plugins are and how to use them? Thank you for
your help.
Michael