[gst-devel] Re: gstreamer-devel digest, Vol 1 #2138 - 9 msgs

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Jan 18 12:00:10 CET 2006

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 gstreamer-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Is that what GST_BUFFER_FLAG_GAP is for? If not, may I also add
> GST_BUFFER_FLAG_BLANK. As part of the proposal I would update GstVolume,
> GstLevel, GstAdder and GstAudioconvert to make use of that.

I originally made fillers to be empty buffers, like this. I decided to do
it differently when I had headaches having to make every element
explicitely aware, or badness would happen (in my case, vorbisdec was
randomly crashing because it doesn't check size of input before touching
data). That's when I decided to do fillers as events; now, only those
elements using it explicitey (N-to-1) need it, and optionally,
clock-providing sinks can support it for smoother clock updates. There's
no disadvantages for other elements, such as stream parsers, state-keeping
elements and demuxers, which would all need updates with buffer-fillers.

Updating stream_time is another possibility, but does not work for
live-streams or clockless pipelines (e.g. in transcoding; this can be
worked around by making muxers export a clock, which is totally hideous
if you ask me).

Ronald