[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] tpm gst-plugins-good: gst-plugins-good/ gst-plugins-good/ext/cdio/

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Jan 20 13:21:01 CET 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:45:31PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> The reason mud sticks around my stickiness in lumps is precisely because
> nobody ever gets any further than "assuming" and "believing" when it
> comes to cdparanoia vs libcdio.
>
> Vague assertions are made about "serious bugs" and "might run faster"
> but nobody ever comes further than vagueness :)
>
> There's a lot of blaming and finger-pointing in both directions from
> those libs and their maintainers

The most recent release of cdparanoia is nearing its 5th birthday.
Maybe if we wait long enough, Monty will regain interest and make
it into a decent library -- e.g., one that is reentrant, one that
doesn't block forever in certain error states.  Until that time,
however, I'm going to support active projects with developers who
have the time and interest to fix bugs (or merely apply patches)
that are important to me.  So basically, if the libraries are
equally featureful, we should use cdio.

Of course, there are issues with cdio as well, such as not having
a stable ABI.

I am likely uninterested in the politics of the situation, as it
probably stems from some misunderstanding like 90% of the political
issues in open source.

dave...

--
David Schleef