[gst-devel] g_main_loop

Kalyanavarathan, Vasanth VKalyanavarathan at ndsuk.com
Thu Jun 15 16:32:02 CEST 2006

Let me clarify my understanding

1. Java Application -> Talks to C / C++ Gstreamer Application -> Creates
and Talks to Gstreamer Plugins

Assuming the above is the way your application is working.
Following is what I have to add

1. Your C/ C++ application which has created the pipeline
Would need to start the pipeline in g_main_loop_run
And this thread will not return until g_main_loop_quit

2. You will receive callbacks on which you can call
G_main_loop_quit to exit the thread in which the pipeline
Is run.

3. You will receive call backs only if your plugins
Post a message to the message bus.
Using

Gst_element_post_message(your plugin element, your custom msg);

4. The callbacks are called in the context of the pipeline thread which
is the thread in which you called g_main_loop_run

5. With respect to random dumps during g_main_loop_run.

I would test your pipeline using gst-launch and see if the
Problem occurs. In which case it is plugin problem (some G_OBJECT_UNREF)

If otherwise it is your GST Application problem where you have added
your elements to a bin and still trying to be the owner of the elements
and trying to free or use the elements that have been destroyed by the
bin.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Vasanth