[gst-devel] issues about cross compile gstreamer to arm !

Zeeshan Ali zeenix at gstreamer.net
Wed Mar 8 02:38:10 CET 2006

Hi there,

> PC : redhat linux 9.2

    No real objections to that but please concider using a more recent
distribution if possible for you.

> target : arm-linux
> 1. gstreamer is bigger when cross-compile. Why? How to reduce the size of
> gstreamer ?
> gstreamer compiled with gcc is 8.7M , but it cross-compiled with
> arm-linux-gcc is 21M.
> cross-compile configure:(I cross-compile glib and libxml into /home/aaa
> directory at first)
> CC=arm-linux-gcc LDFLAGS=-L/home/aaa/installdir/lib
> CPPFLAGS=-I/home/aaa/installdir/include ./configure
> --host=arm-linux --prefix=/home/aaa/installdir --disable-examples
> --disable-tests --disable-failing-tests --disable-docbook --disable-gtk-doc
> --disable-net --disable-debug

     The most effective flag is '--disable-static' assuming by by the
'size of gstreamer' you mean the size of all the files installed by
`make install`.

> 3.How to tailor gst-plugin-base according with my requirement?
> I don't need so many plugins, especially those depending on x11 libs, but I
> don't know how to tailor.

   See if you can find anyway you can disable them using a flag. In
case there is no flag for disabling a particular plugin, what you can
do is that you can build/install the needed plugins only individually
by doing `make` and `make install` in the directories of those
plugins.

   In the end, i'll advice you to use scratchbox
(http://www.scratchbox.org/), which should make your life a lot
easier. :)

--
Regards,