[gst-devel] Missng plugins in Gstreamer 0.10.*?

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Wed Mar 8 16:10:03 CET 2006

Dear subscribers

I've just started to try out the 0.10 version of Gstreamer, earlier I've
just used the 0.8.11 version. It seems to me that there is a lot of plug-ins
"missing" in the 0.10 build, e.g. it seems like most of the decoding
plug-ins are gone and in my case an essential one as the xvimagesink is not
available. I'm using Gentoo and have emerged (which is Gentooish for
installing/building) 0.10 and it might be some special Gentoo adoption that
cause these plug-ins to be missed.

But there is certainly something fishy, e.g. if I try to play a simple
mpeg-file using playbin, it complains that it "don't know how to handle
video/mpeg" which seems odd. This file is easily played using the 0.8
release.

Is there a major re-organization of the 0.10 plugins so that the are some
multi-purpose decoder plugins that takes care of format or is it still more
0.8-ish that you need basically one plugin for each video format? In the
latter case, looking at the documentation on the Gstreamer site, it seems
like most of these are not availiable for the 0.10 build.

Any help and clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander