[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] ensonic gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/docs/manual/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Mar 10 02:56:03 CET 2006

Hi Stefan,

> Log message:
> * docs/manual/README:
> uncover a nasty detail of the docs build
> +Ensonic's comments on the doc build system :
> +--------------------------------------------
> +In case you like to share files between the manual and the pwg - its not trivial.
> +Before anything is done, the build-system copies all xml files into the build
> +subdir and this breaks including shared docs via entities.

This is a very obtuse comment that doesn't say anything useful.  Could
you explain what the problem is exactly ?

For the record, the root of the problem are the doc build tools, which
need a lot of workarounds to build when srcdir != builddir.  As you may
have noticed, autotools projects try to maintain a clean separation
between the two, and historically doctools authors have been too lazy to
get this right.  gtk-doc is a prime example - last I checked the
gtk-doc.make snippet *overrides* autotools' read-only setting on the
build tree so that the tools can do their dirty job.

So maybe you want to share your actual problem, because I see no reason
to claim that this breaks including shared docs via entitities.  The
docs and the website build both use shared entitities among lots of xml
files.

Thomas

To all the clumsy lovers who never seem to get it right