[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] ensonic gst-plugins-base: gst-plugins-base/ gst-plugins-base/gst/typefind/ gst-plugins-base/tests/check/elements/

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon May 8 12:42:02 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 17:07 +0000, Stefan Kost wrote:

> CVS Root:       /cvs/gstreamer
> Module:         gst-plugins-base
> Changes by:     ensonic
> Date:           Sun May 07 2006  17:07:15 UTC
>
> Log message:
> * gst/typefind/gsttypefindfunctions.c: (mp4_find_box),
> (mp4_type_find), (plugin_init):
> Add typefind to distinguish between "audio/x-m4a" and new type
> "video/mp4". Fixes #340375

This seems to break playback of some files, as you didn't add the new
media type to any of the elements that used to handle the old type
before:

  $ totem ~/trailers/sincity.mp4
  *** Message: don't know how to handle video/mp4

Even if it didn't raise API/ABI concerns (are the media types typefind
outputs part of our API?), it at least means we need to be careful when
doing releases, because even if you added the new media type to those
elements in CVS immediately, we couldn't make a new -base release before
making new releases of all modules whose elements are affected (ie. at
least -bad).

(Besides, I still think it's wrong to try and do audio/video
differentiation for muxed content in the typefinding functions, but
maybe that's just me)

 Cheers
  -Tim