[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] ensonic gst-plugins-base: gst-plugins-base/ gst-plugins-base/gst/typefind/ gst-plugins-base/tests/check/elements/

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Tue May 9 02:02:02 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 20:42 +0100, Tim Müller wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 17:07 +0000, Stefan Kost wrote:
>
> > CVS Root:       /cvs/gstreamer
> > Module:         gst-plugins-base
> > Changes by:     ensonic
> > Date:           Sun May 07 2006  17:07:15 UTC
> >
> > Log message:
> > * gst/typefind/gsttypefindfunctions.c: (mp4_find_box),
> > (mp4_type_find), (plugin_init):
> > Add typefind to distinguish between "audio/x-m4a" and new type
> > "video/mp4". Fixes #340375
>
> This seems to break playback of some files, as you didn't add the new
> media type to any of the elements that used to handle the old type
> before:

Also, in the bug where this was being discussed, people (at least Tim)
objected to the very idea of the patch (I did too, but hadn't said
anything since Tim had already mentioned what I thought).

You should NEVER commit things that people have clearly objected to
without finishing the discussion first, and getting some sort of
consensus over this stuff.

>From my understanding of this, it sounds like 'audio/x-m4a' is a bit
misleading (it should, perhaps, just be 'application/x-m4a', though that
change, like this one would cause compatibility problems).

Putting partial demuxers into typefind functions simply to solve an
application level concern is NOT the right approach, though. I think you
should revert this patch if you can't get people to agree with your
approach.

Mike