[gst-devel] GDP updates and questions

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue May 9 14:03:49 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 08:29:40PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Strictly speaking this would be an ABI change; however, nothing in
> GStreamer actually serializes events at the moment.  The question is,
> which of the following is preferred:
> 1) changing it without revving the GDP major/minor version
> 2) changing it, revving the major/minor, thus making it so older core
> cannot use GDP with newer core processes
> 3) changing it, revving, and implementing fallback code for the older
> GDP version

I think what you actually mean is:

1) changing it without revving the GDP major/minor version, thus making
it so older core communicating with newer core *breaks in non-intuitive
ways*.

> Personally I lean towards 1) because nobody is using the event
> serialization code right now.

The same reasoning justifies 2).  If people have a need for backward
compatibility, they can use the old libgstdataprotocol, as well.

I don't mind the breakage, fwiw.

dave...

--
David Schleef