[gst-devel] Re: Versioning of GStreamer

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu May 11 10:09:08 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 02:48:56PM +0000, Taj Morton wrote:
> Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas <at> apestaart.org> writes:
> > As a pretty much direct consequence of the ABI/API promises we make in
> > stable releases, it is pretty much guaranteed that, when Y is an even
> > number, A will always be 0, as will C, while B gently increases as we
> > add API (I hope I didn't make any mistakes here).
> This isn't libtool versioning--it's gstreamer versioning! ;-) GStreamer 0.8.9
> shipped libgstreamer-0.8.so.1.4.0. Also, 0.7.4 shipped
> libgstreamer-0.7.so.6.0.0. Are these backwards compatible with with the rest of
> their series?

0.7 is not a stable series.

0.8.x shipped with a SOVERSION of 1 because an emergency ABI change
was made during the 0.7 series after we had made releases with the
libgstreamer-0.8 SONAME.

The libtool versioning system has grown to be increasingly irrelevant
over the past decade, since it doesn't adequately address things like
parallel installability.  Dealing with parallel installability leads
one to deal with decent package versioning and having stable ABI series,
at which point the only relevant feature is the libtool minor version
(i.e., specifying ABI additions).  And ld.so ignores this value anyway.

dave...

--
David Schleef
Big Kitten LLC (http://www.bigkitten.com/) -- data acquisition on Linux