[gst-devel] Gstreamer-0.10 freezing under Gnome in etch, will not play

Chris Mattern syscjm at gwu.edu
Fri May 19 07:42:02 CEST 2006

Hello:

I've been going through a great deal of frustration becuase
gstreamer-0.10 has started to refuse to play under gnome,
a source of great frustration to me because it means that
rhythmbox stopped working (I'd also like to get .m4a audio
files working under gstreamer/rhythmbox, but that's a whole
'nother epic...).  It used to work, but it broke after I
brought in a .gconf/%gconf-tree.xml from another system
because I wanted the gnome-terminal definitions in it.  There
weren't any definitions in the file other than gnome-terminal
and this system didn't even have a %gconf-tree.xml until I
brought it over...

So, gstreamer still works from a text console, but in a
gnome-terminal I get this:

 > syscjm at ayato:~$ gst-launch-0.10 playbin
uri="file:///home/syscjm/pucelle001.mp3" Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...

 > (gst-launch-0.10:8783): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
 > Trying to dispose object "audiosinkringbuffer0", but it still has a
parent "actual-sink".
 > You need to let the parent manage the object instead of unreffing the
object directly.

 > (gst-launch-0.10:8783): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
 > Trying to dispose object "audiosinkringbuffer1", but it still has a
parent "actual-sink".
 > You need to let the parent manage the object instead of unreffing the
object directly.

 > (gst-launch-0.10:8783): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
 > Trying to dispose object "audiosinkringbuffer2", but it still has a
parent "actual-sink".
 > You need to let the parent manage the object instead of unreffing the
object directly.

 > (gst-launch-0.10:8783): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
 > Trying to dispose object "audiosinkringbuffer3", but it still has a
parent "actual-sink".
 > You need to let the parent manage the object instead of unreffing the
object directly.

 > Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
 > Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
 > Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
 > New clock: GstSystemClock

And there it hangs until I ctrl-C out.  Uninstalling and reinstalling
gstreamer-0.10 didn't help.  I looked at the Multimedia
Systems Selector from the Desktop/Preference menu, but that's for
0.8.  After I fiddled with it (and proved 0.8 worked), I had
entries in %gconf-tree.xml for 0.8, so I used gconftool-2 to
set identical entries for 0.10, but that didn't help any,
so I unset them again (in any case, the working settings for
0.8 appears to use esdsink for a audio sink, and 0.10 doesn't seem
to *have* esdsink...).  At this point I'm stuck.  Any help
out there?

Chris Mattern