[gst-devel] Problems getting a snapshot from a running videostream, please help

Fredrik Persson frepe at bredband.net
Sat May 27 14:37:02 CEST 2006

I'm trying to write a small app that shall display a videostream, and a
snapshot button. If the user clicks the button, a single frame from the
videostream shall be grabbed and displayed to the user.

For this I have written a small glade/gtk/gstreamer/python app, that does not
work as it should; the video stream freezes when the user clicks the snapshot
button.

Here is the python program: http://pastebin.com/741807
It needs this .glade-file: http://pastebin.com/741810

The general idea is this: create a pipeline with some video source and some
videosink and a tee element in between those. Then, at the click, attach a
colorspace-pngenc-filesink to the tee. The pngenc will send a EOS signal when
it has encoded one frame, putting us in the eos handler. In that handler, the
colorspace-pngenc-filesink shall be removed and the image shall be displayed
to the user.

Save both files from pastebin in the same directory, and name the glade
file "small_gui.glade". Then run the program with "python small_gui.py" and
click on the snapshot button. The video stream will freeze. (There are other
errors too...) I cannot, for my life, understand how to make the videostream
continue. I've tried to solve this problem for almost two days.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Fredrik Persson