[gst-devel] ARG!

Joni Valtanen jvaltane at movial.fi
Fri Nov 3 12:14:45 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Michal Benes wrote:

>> Thanks. I was writing samekind of ducument, but get some problems
>> because system didn't compile dll:s with precompiled glib 2.12.
>> Only static libraries were made. GStreamer was CVS version. I didn't
>> have time to test with "stable" versions.
>>
>> There got some warnings/errors because gcc/libtool didn't found any glib
>> related dlls. I tried to remake .a files from .defs. I think problem is
>> for naming of .a files of the glib.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> The problem is that Windows do not allow unresolved symbols in dll
> libraries. When linking dll libraries, you must provide all dependencies
> (as -l flags). If you do not do this libtool will create only static
> libraries (.a). All of this is not needed on POSIX systems and therefore
> missing from many Makefiles.

Yeah this is the problem. .a:s should handle this but no. Is it possible
that .a-file names are libglib-2.0.0.a and they should be
libglib-2.0.0.dll.a??? pkg-config checks dependencies of glib and if there
is no problem then it should work????

I check can i compile any dll:s with glib and that success have to
check what is changed in one month with gst makefile.am:s & configure.in.

> You will also need development libraries (.lib or .def -- I am really
> not an expert) of glib to successfully link against it.
>
> 	Regards,
> 		Michal

.lib and .def files are not needed. .def files are used to generate .a
files and .lib:s can be used linking also. So these are not mandatory.
lib-files are used with msvc-environment.

Thanks.

- Joni