[gst-devel] JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth

Chris Ross chris at tebibyte.org
Fri Nov 24 13:31:26 CET 2006

Christian,

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Christian F.K. Schaller wrote:
> So until someone either starts writing a GStreamer application which has
> Jack output as a priority I don't see this changing. Also with the work
> happening in the distributions to try to move away from the situation
> with a separate system for normal and pro audio I am not sure how much
> pressure there will be for a resolution here long term. Seems the
> distro's prefer a MacOSX like situation with one system for both targets
> instead of having to maintain a separate 'pro' ecosystem.

Having a JACK output plugin for GStreamer is part of "MacOSX like
situation with one system for both targets instead of having to maintain a
separate 'pro' ecosystem". As it is I use the somewhat awkward and
unmaintained XMMS as my preferred media player simply because it supports
JACK.

[disclaimer: I am a minor Ardour contributor and JACK is the sound system
that is always running under my (WindowMaker) desktop].

Regards,
Chris R.