[gst-devel] JACK and GStreamer, from the horse's mouth

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Wed Nov 29 12:17:19 CET 2006

Hello Lennart,

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 22:14 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Instead I would argue that the pull model actually has negative
> effects. It is very difficult to marry a system like Gstreamer (which
> already does its own threading) with the way threading is handled by
> the pull API. Why? Because you need to pass the audio data between the
> gst-handled thread and the api-handled thread. That passing requires
> buffering.

This is not necessarily the case. Please see my mail:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.gstreamer.devel/16728

Specifically, there is no reason that activating a jacksink's pad in
pull mode must start a GstTask. We can allow the jack thread to drive
the pipeline, in the pure-pull case anyway. Otherwise we make a jacksink
with GstBaseAudioSink's default behavior of starting another thread
separated by a ring buffer.

Regards,

Andy.
--