[gst-devel] Using gst-launch to convert between video formats on the command line?

Zaheer Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Mon Oct 2 07:48:00 CEST 2006

On 10/2/06, Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got some video files in the matroska format that I would like to
> repack into the avi format. The codecs used in the file are Xvid and and
> AAC, and I'd like to simply reuse the audio and video bitstreams in the
> new file (I don't want to do any transcoding). So far, I've figured out
> how to take the video stream and put it into the avi, like so:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location="in.mkv" ! matroskademux ! avimux ! filesink location=out.avi
>
> But the audio channel gets lost. What am I missing?

Yes one of the channels will get lost because demuxers create pads for
each media channel inside the stream, so your pipeline only linked one
of these pads.

Try:

gst-launch-0.10 avimux name=mux ! filesink location=out.avi filesrc
location=in.mkv ! matroskademux name=d ! queue ! mux. d. ! queue !
mux.

Zaheer