[gst-devel] Filtering with catch-all mime type video/*?

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 10:53:53 CEST 2006

To further confirm what Zaheer just mentionned, check out the
documentation about defined mime types:

  http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/section-types-definitions.html

Especially the sentence that says : "In the definition of each type,
we try to follow the types and rules as defined by  IANA for as far as
possible."  Which is quite different from "We use the mime types
defined by IETF or IANA" !

  Edward

On 10/5/06, Zaheer Merali <zaheermerali at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/06, cascardo at holoscopio.com <cascardo at holoscopio.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:24:41AM -0700, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > While I do agree with you that Ogg is a container format... AFAICT using
> > > "video/ogg" when you know that it contain video would be correct.  And
> > > (based on complaints I've seen) some would highly enourage it.
> > >
> > > I've seen some people suggesting that there should be MIME types like
> > > "video/rss+xml" and "video/atom+xml" for video blogging (vlogging,
> > > vidcasting, or whatever you want to call it).  And hints that there should
> > > be "audio/rss+xml" and "audio/atom+xml" for audio blogging (podcasting,
> > > IPradio, or whatever you want to call it).
> > >
> > > Refer to this IETF post...
> > >
> > > http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06669.html
> > >
> > > ... which is (in part) a comment to the following proposal I made...
> > >
> > > http://maketelevision.com/log/rss_and_atom_feed_auto-discovery_for_internet_tv
> > >

> > > See ya
> > >

> > Yes, and some other container formats supported by GStreamer are (using
> > standard MIME types) referred as audio/sth and video/sth. And I sure
> > agree that using standard MIME types is right.
> >
> > However, being able to distinguish between a container, a codified audio
> > or video and a raw audio or video should be possible. Right now, this is
> > not possible and I still don't know which advantages would "video/ogg"
> > have over "application/ogg" as the MIME type for a container, since you
> > can't get the difference between "video/mpeg" as a container and
> > "video/mpeg" as a codified video, other than by an accompanying
> > "systemstream" property that not every container format have.
> >

> Easy, use a method like Discoverer which is in gst-python (also
> includes a test program to use it called gstfile)
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-python/gst/extend/discoverer.py
>
> The capabilities in GStreamer in no way corresponds to the MIME type
> of the file.  It is used internally to identify the buffers passing
> between pads in GStreamer.  To find out information of whether there
> is video in a certain stream etc., use Discoverer as noted above.
>
> > ---
> >
> > Regards,
> > Thadeu Cascardo.
>
> Regards
>
> Zaheer

Edward Hervey
Multimedia editing developer / Fluendo S.A.
http://www.pitivi.org/