[gst-devel] Video thumb nails

Fredrik Persson frepe at bredband.net
Tue Oct 10 19:28:29 CEST 2006

No, there is not. Creating a thumbnail from a video file is rather
difficult. I, for one, would've loved this kind of functionality as an
integral part of gstreamer.

However, you can have a look at how this is solved in Totem.
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/totem/)

It is a matter of snatching a single frame from a video file, converting
it into either a gtk pixbuf, which is handy if you want to display it on
the screen, or a png, if you want to store it as a file.

This is the totem source code file where the conversion from gstreamer
buffer to gtk pixbuf is done; it is not trivial:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/totem/src/backend/gstscreenshot.c?rev=1.8&view=markup

Of course, you also need to snatch that buffer from a running video
stream. That is done elsewhere in the Totem source code, it is not as
difficult as converting it.

Good luck!

/Fredrik Persson