[gst-devel] Parsers handling in decodebin

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Thu Sep 28 11:07:17 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 18:56 +0200, Michal Benes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I would like to ask about your opinions how parsers should be handled
> in decodebin.
>
> 	My issue is h264 in mpeg-ts stream. The correct pipeline to decode this
> is flutsdemux ! h264parse ! ffdec_h264. However, decodebin -- depending
> on the relative priorities of h264parse and ffdec_h264 -- either creates
> endless chain of h264parsers or does not insert h264parse at all.

If the h264parse is needed, then that's because flutsdemux is outputting
something that ffdec_h264 doesn't support.

So, the caps should reflect that. An attribute like "parsed=true/false"
is the normal way - flutsdemux can set it to false, h264parse can accept
the h264 data, output true, and the h264 decoder can be made to accept
only parsed data.

You shouldn't need any decodebin changes.

Mike